Fast-track Commercial Construction Projects
Moravian College Haupert Hall Cafeteria
Moravian College needed a complete renovation of Haupert Union Hall, a cafeteria built in the 1950s. They selected Jerdon Construction for their expertise in completing complex renovations on tight deadlines. Jerdon had just 90 days to conduct a complete cutting and renovation of the entire 12,000 SF space.
Demolition included removing all kitchen equipment, piping, electrical, ceiling, floor tile and 100 linear feet of CMU walls. Jerdon had to ensure demolition would not contaminate the lower level of the building, which was occupied. To overcome this challenge, they used temporary protection to contain the effects of the demolition.
To meet their tight three-month deadline, Jerdon had to manage the project efficiently, coordinating weekly job meetings and inspections by the City of Bethlehem multiple times each week. After three months of significant overtime and seven-days-a-week work, Jerdon completed the project on deadline. The result? A beautiful and modern new look for Haupert Union Hall.
- Labor hours totaled 13,775 hours with no OSHA recordable accidents.
- Addition of a new fire alarm system, which was an unanticipated change in scope.
- Upgrade of electrical breakers to handle the increased electrical needs.
- Installation of seventeen new floor drains.
- Installation of seven make-up air units, including structural steel and roofing modifications.
- Significant mechanical engineering to ensure proper HVAC coverage.